The term “TMJ” refers to the temporomandibular joint. TMD, or temporomandibular disorder, is the disorder or pain associated with the joint.
TMD pain is multifactorial; it can be muscle, ligament or a dislocation of the disc that will cause pain.
There are several primary symptoms of TMD. Pain, headaches, sensitive teeth, broken teeth, and premature failure of restorations can all suggest TMD. Other symptoms of TMD include:
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Swelling on the sides of the face
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
TMD Treatment at Barkley Boulevard Dental Care
Once Dr. Seelye identifies the primary cause of the TMD, we can determine your treatment. If your pain is due to the joint being out of balance, wearing an occlusal stabilization appliance can be helpful. An occlusal appliance works by repositioning the jaw to realign them, and thus relieve pain and restore function. We may also recommend behavioral changes, including:
- Avoiding grinding or clenching your teeth
- Avoiding constant gum chewing
- Chewing food evenly on both sides of your mouth
- Not sitting with your chin rested on your hand
If you suspect you have TMD, or suffer from any of the symptoms listed above for an extended period, Dr. Seelye can provide the answers you’re looking for.